What We Do
The Virtuoso Strings Music Programmes currently include:
- Junior, Senior and Touring String Orchestras
- In-school Group Music Tuition
- After-school Music Tuition and Supervised Practice
- A student-to-student Mentoring Scheme
- Weekend Chamber Music Coaching
- Comprehensive Holiday Programmes
- Out-of-town Orchestra Trips each year (Whanganui: April 2018; South Island tour: July 2018)
- Coaching for Trinity College Music Exams
- Support for Music Competitions
- Numerous (40+ per year) and varied performing opportunities (Retirement Villages, Museums, Concert Halls, Community Centres, Festivals, Prisons, Banquets etc.)
And this Month.....
- During April 2018 we are going to ramp up our fundraising efforts for the orchestra trip to Whanganui from 20-22nd April and the 8-day orchestra tour around the South Island from 12-19th July, with concerts in Christchurch, Greymouth, Hokitika, Wanaka, Arrowtown and Mosgiel.
- A big group of over 70 students and parent helpers is travelling to Whanganui by car and bus to perform at two retirement villages as well as the Whanganui Opera House. We are going on lots of walks, taking a cruise on the Waimarie Paddle Steamer and playing outdoor Laser Tag. It should be a blast! Thanks so much to Pelorus Trust and Trust House Foundation for meeting the lion's share of our costs!
- This month we are also starting regular chamber music rehearsals so we are well prepared for the Kapi-Mana Festival and Competitions -see http://kapimanamusic.org.nz . Our students are always excited to choose new pieces.
- Another big project we want to progress in April is our Orchestra Photo Book: "Humans of the Virtuoso Strings Orchestra". The amazing Tracy Sexton has been taking some stunning stunning photos of orchestra whanau. The only problem is we have too many good photos and can't decide which ones to ditch :-(
If you want to keep up to date with what we and our students are up to on a day to day basis, do visit our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/VirtuosoStringsPorirua/
We rely on support from people like you to do what we do! The givealittle page https://givealittle.co.nz/org/virtuosostrings is set up for one-off donations. However, if you’re looking to get more involved please don’t hesitate to email Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org.